Workshop: Shakespeare and Hybrids

After a lecture on Hybography, we were set a task in which we had to create hybrid letterforms using Serif and Sans Serif fonts to make up impactful words, portraying the action or meaning of the word itself.

I first pondered ‘Burn’. I attempted to make the letter solid and thick at the bottom and thinner at the top to replicate the appearance of a flame, however on completion of this idea, I felt it more suitably replicated words such as ‘Robotic’ or ‘Clockwork’. Next I tried ‘Snap’. I tried to split the word in two, aiming them in two different directions as if the word itself had been snapped, as well as creating a gap between the Serif and Sans Serif element of the letters so they also looked snapped in themselves. I felt that this word was more successful, however quite predictable in its appearance. I then tried ‘Smithereens’. This was my favourite word of the three, however if I were to create it again, I would make the letters even more fragmented and less organised.

After exploring the concept of Hybography, we each chose a Shakespeare play and filtered the story down to six words. I toyed with ‘Witches told me to do it’ (Macbeth), ‘The King’s tragic decent into madness’ (King Lear) and ‘The downfall of Malvolio; arrogant fool’ (Twelfth Night), however I eventually selected ‘In love. Both dead. Silly mistake’, to represent Romeo and Juliet.I created my A2 hybrid poster on Illustrator, cutting one Serif and one Sans Serif font apart and pasting them back together in different formations. For the ‘In love’ part, I decided I wanted the letters to be more rounded, close together and on a curved line instead of a straight one. For the ‘Both dead’, I decided to make the letters hybrid by splitting the type exactly half Serif and half Sans Serif with a gap in-between to represent the separation of the two characters. For the ‘Silly mistake’, I decided to make the letters incomplete and messy, each one looking slightly wrong and imperfect. In the word mistake, I swapped two of the letters around. I experimented with which two letters to change around to make the mistake hardly noticeable until drawn attention to.

Overall I am happy with my piece and feel I fulfilled all my aims successfully.

Romeo and Juliet

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s