After our first few meetings as a group, we developed some ideas and concepts for our campaign. One of the most important to us was our company identity and what we could do to ensure that the elements of our campaign could be easily recognised as being created by us.
We each designed a selection of logos and initially chose one which featured the name of our campaign underneath the face of an elephant from front view. Tom, Will and I experimented on Photoshop with our idea of using geometric shapes to make up the animals. We agreed they needed more development, but we were very happy to continue with the idea of using shapes.
Having chosen to use an elephant, gorilla, rhino, tiger and panda as our campaign mascots, Larissa used her Illustrator skills to create the characters which we would use throughout the campaign, individual to us.
After some changes and developments, these are the animals we are using throughout our campaign. You can see from their aesthetic that, while they are not similar to the original elephant above, they follow the pattern of using geometric shapes. They look very unnatural, whilst also aesthetically pleasing and gentle, perhaps created by our chosen colour scheme.
Upon selecting these five animals, I noticed that four out of five are of greyscale colouring, while the tiger’s fur includes black, white and orange. I suggested using a colour scheme of greyscale with splashes of orange to add colour and vibrancy. We agreed on using a pastel/pale orange as opposed to a bright, almost neon one, as we felt it would fit better with the other colours and also with our campaign ethos- that we are not an aggressive campaign but one offering facts and advice to better the future of animals.
The elephant was designed and edited to fit an idea we had about the pamphlet having a second use as a piece of origami. The idea was that the pamphlet would be a piece of paper that included information on elephants in captivity compared to elephants in the wild and also the instructions on how to create your own ‘FAC’ elephant out of paper. We felt that while this idea was imaginative and exciting, the language would be aimed at child level intellect and this origami task may be frustrating and too challenging for them to complete.
Instead, we decided to have the pamphlet as a double sided, full colour information provider, and focus the masks on being a fun creative activity for children.