Editorial: Development of Spreads

Below are scans of sketches I made whilst brainstorming ideas for the double page spreads in my editorial. I tried to keep in mind the important use of text and image, and consider the placement of both in relation to each other.

sand-notes2sand-notes

I looked on pinterest for inspiration and found some spreads that I was drawn to in particular and wanted to attempt to replicate some elements of in my work.

In all of these editorial pieces, I love the use of colour and border. I think the black/white and black/red contrast on some is incredibly strong. I think the use of a border would feel strong in my own work on this particular topic, as upon reading the article, a sense of restriction and containment is created, a fear of stepping out of line at risk of violence or murder. I think the border putting restriction on the page and where the text and image can go will give that impression, surrounding and containing what is inside the border on the page.

The above images were initial experimentation for the first spread, beginning the text and introducing the topic. I looked at the idea of playing on the phrase ‘caught redhanded’, using a photograph of my hands covered in sand. I had a lot of text to play with, and so decided that I did not want to use a full double page on just a title alone. I began fitting text onto the spread, using an 8 column grid. I decided to use point size 10 and fit text across three columns, as this made the line length the most suitable. Initially, I seemed to be fitting the text in wherever I could, using up all the possible space. After speaking with my peers and with David, it was suggested that I try to experiment more with white space, so to not make the page too crowded and overwhelmed with text. I had a lot of text to play with, but also three large spreads to fit it on, and so I could afford to be experimental and playful with white space and images. The sandcastle on the top left image was a stock photo found on the internet. It was a rough spread put together on indesign to see how the photo of a sandcastle would work in relation to the spread and the context of the text. I decided that if I thought the image worked well, I would replicate this kind of photograph and visit the beach to take my own so fill the gap of the stock image. When I took my own photos, I actually decided the stock image was by far my favourite, which was a shame. Nothing seemed to look as good as that image, the colour changes I applied to it, and the way in which it sat in relation to the article and the border. I also found it difficult to fully remove the surrounding sand from my photographs, leaving the areas that I wanted left in for my editorial. With slightly limiting photoshop skills, I found it frustrating that none of the images seemed to work as perfectly as the incredibly high resolution stock image. I began playing with the idea of following the lines of a sandcastle, but perhaps using imagery which was slightly more metaphoric and less obvious than sand. While at the beach, I also took photographs of a spinning windmill which was a deep red in colour and matched the ideas I had in my head perfectly. I much preferred these images, and began to play with these more.

I also began playing with the other spreads, in particular one which I knew I wanted to have a red background. After I had discarded much of the text and edited it down to approximately 1,500 words, I placed the remainder of the text on this page and placed a quote taken from the text in a large point size. I made a few quotes call-outs, and made the font colour for those white, in contrast to the black body copy. I was very happy with this spread from when I first created it, and it was the spread on which I had most positive feedback from my peers. From the beginning of the process to the hand in, I didn’t change this page too much, just spend a whole lot of time on type detailing.

Screen Shot 2016-05-05 at 00.54.43

For a feedback session with David and some of my peers, I presented a set of three spreads.

Spreads

Originally, the white background spread had gone first and the split page spread that appears first here was second. At the last minute, I changed these over so that the editorial had some sort of title, though I knew I was not completely happy with this, and would not have been happy to submit this as my final project. The sandcastle image was a photograph I took and edited myself, however I feared how it would print. Upon printing, it was clear however I was not completely satisfied and felt I could create something more complex and appealing to the eye. I also wasn’t completely happy with the centred quote on the right, however the similar line length meant that right or left aligned looked like a mistake. I felt happy with the other two spreads however when discussed, I realised flaws. The columns in the white spread were too complicated and too all over the place and there was far too much body copy text. I liked the image of the pinwheel, however I wanted to see how else I could incorporate it into the piece, perhaps in a more interesting way. I didn’t feel that two quotes were needed on the same page, and perhaps one quote and some use of white space would be more effective. It was suggested that I use the red background spread as my first page as the ‘Sand Is Everywhere’ quote made a nice title. I agree with this, though I had not thought of it before.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s